A virtual credit card, just like a physical card, is tied to the account holder’s line of credit. It provides the same access and includes the same identifying information. However, it doesn’t have the same physical elements, as there is no “card” so to speak. Logistical differences include:
- You can’t use the card with physical POS systems, such as in brick and mortar stores, since there is no card to swipe or insert, however, you can add this card to your mobile wallet to conduct in person transactions
- Purchases can be made online or over the phone.
You can find the information of your virtual card within the Ramp, on both mobile and web. Click the card to reveal:
- the full payment card number (PAN)
As a best practice, we recommend using one virtual card per vendor.
- Security: If the vendor's website security is compromised, your card information with other vendors stays safe. You may simply lock the card for the specific vendor and not have any additional recurring spend blocked.
Accounting: You can create merchant rules and card rules to easily code transactions from specific vendors. One card per vendor helps with financial organization
- This can be done by heading to Cards --> Edit Card. From there, scroll to Card Rules, click add rule and add your accounting rule
Flexibility: Ability to easily reassign card to different owners as you hire and scale your team
- Virtual cards can easily be transferred from teammate to teammate. To do so, head to Cards --> Edit Card and choose a new owner, then click save.