With Ramp, you can handle all your company expenses in a single place. This includes corporate card expenses as well as any cash or incidentals that need employee reimbursements with our Reimbursement product. With Reimbursements, both domestic and foreign employees can submit out-of-pocket expenses, managers can approve these expenses, and Ramp will automatically facilitate payment to the employee within 3 business days. It's the fastest reimbursement product on the market.
Set up Reimbursements
The payment method: choose between paying back via ACH (and select the account that Ramp will debit to pay your employees) or disable ACH payment and choose to pay outside of Ramp (not recommended).
- If you toggle off "Allow Manual Reimbursements," your employees will be required to connect their bank account before submitting a reimbursement. An ACH reimbursement payment cannot be made if the employee's bank account is not linked. Employees will not be prompted to connect their bank account if the reimbursement settings allow manual reimbursements.
- Your mileage policy: choose whether you allow mileage reimbursements and how much to pay per mile. Ramp's Google Maps mileage feature populates the mileage after employees enter a start and end location. This will then automatically compute how much to reimburse employees based on the route with the fewest number of miles. If you disable mileage reimbursements, past mileage reimbursements cannot be edited.
Note: You may adjust your mileage rate at any time by going to your Reimbursements tab > Settings (upper right-hand corner) > Mileage.
- Submission policy: confirm what information is required when an employee submits a reimbursement, including receipts, memos, and any specific accounting categories. More information here: Submission Policies
- Approval policy: confirm the approval workflow required to approve the reimbursement, which you can customize to add layers and approvers based on the dollar amount of the reimbursements. More information here: Approval Policies
Submitting reimbursements is easy. Navigate to My Ramp and click Reimbursements on the top right. With a few clicks, you can submit your first reimbursement. Check out this article, Submitting Reimbursements, for more information on:
- Editing Reimbursement Amounts
- Bulk Approving Reimbursements
- Foreign Transaction Reimbursements
- International Reimbursements
- Reimbursement Payment Options
We will send a single payment every day to an employee's bank account for all the reimbursements approved in the last 24-hour period and withdraw one amount per employee from your connected bank account. This means that if an employee submits 10 reimbursements today for $4 each, instead of sending your employee 10 separate payments for $4 as we do currently, we will send a single batch payment to their bank account for $40 instead. When we debit the business for the user's reimbursement we will debit them once for $40 as well.
Reimbursements will show in your bank statement using the following template: first, "RAMP REIMBURSE", followed by the first initial and last name of the employee being reimbursed.
To see which reimbursements are included in the ACH batch, you can click the relevant reimbursement, click "Batched with other reimbursements", and get taken to a filtered view of all reimbursements included in the payment.
Please note: international reimbursements are not batched.
You can enable or disable this feature in the Reimbursements Settings page!
Accounting for reimbursements is lightning fast like our Ramp card transactions. We sync directly to your accounting provider leveraging our direct integration. Currently, we use Bills to sync reimbursements to your Accounting Provider. Check out this article for more information: Syncing reimbursement to accounting