All Ramp users can now split transactions on Ramp into multiple line items to properly allocate different amounts to different accounts - category, department, location, or any custom fields you need.
How to split a transaction
No setup is required to split expenses. Here are the 2 ways to split an expense:
1) From the Transaction Drawer
Once you've navigated to a transaction, scroll to the section "Accounting" and click "Split". Add as many lines as you need.
- Amounts must add up to the transaction total.
- Each line can be coded differently by category, department, location, and also any custom fields.
2) From the Accounting Page
Select the transaction, then click "Split Transaction" by clicking the three dots button at the bottom of the Accounting page.
Which fields are splittable?
Fields are splittable based on how you have configured your accounting provider. Fields fall into two different buckets:
- Non-splittable fields. These fields can be set like any other field in your transaction. These can be set at the transaction level, and will appear in your accounting platform once synced.
- Splittable fields. All splittable fields appear under each line item section:
How to edit a split
Splits can be updated in the table view to adjust amounts, categories, and other fields. However, a split transaction can only be saved if all split lines are valid. Once a transaction is split, it will be updated on your accounting dashboard.
Which platforms support this?
This feature is compatible with QuickBooks Online, Xero, Netsuite, and the Universal CSV.